18 October 2009

Since I was sixteen I've battled with Acne. And when I say battled, I mean full-on-no-holds-bar-war. Most of the time the acne won. And it wasn't until about 4 years ago, my acne had finally run its course. But until that time had come, acne controlled my self-esteem and weighed heavy on my social life. You never would've known it was such an emotional nuisance. But it kept me from all sorts of things like public swimming, the woman at every make up counter from Saks to Nordstrom, dates, photos, "let's get ready together" parties, and the kind of self esteem every girl should have by the age of twenty.

And, if you'd asked me what I think the cause of it was, my answer would change daily; "it's sleep, cigarettes, stress, beef, my birth control, fruit, my new cleanser, the rain." I wouldn't allow you to touch my face, ever. I even went as far as using diaper rash cream on a particularly bad outbreak. Bad skin is humiliating and humbling and causes and unwilling war against yourself.

It all sounds dramatic, but I promise, it's not. It's real.

I've always done my best to use natural products. But when battling with acne, you use what "they" say works.

Now one of my most favorite facial products, that won't make you feel guilty after purchasing is the Lush line of Fresh Facial Masks. You get a 3 month's supply for $5.95. It's the easiest way to pamper you skin.

my favorites are:

The Ayesha
(for skin tightening and smooth out fine lines; rosemary, eliderflower and lime flower). Perfect for right before going out, a tiny little face lift.

BB Seaweed
(calming, soothing, takes away redness, deep cleansing with aloe rose, and seaweed)

The Sacred Truth
(packed full of antioxidants; wheat grass, papaya, and green tea)

You can't buy these online because they are fresh. But you can buy them from the LUSH store in Westlake Center (400 Pine Street; that place next to Pacific Place). The gals are helpful and sweet and all under 17 with nearly perfect skin. Maybe it's because they use their own products...

3 Comments:

Blogger new york dactyl said...

i'm going to look in to some of these... because although i'm not big on the getting of the acne, i am BIG on under eye bags these days and need a little pick me up.

love you, miss mae.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Amanda Mae said...

Miss Leigh :) I am now obsessed. I have to fight myself not to done one every night. They also have these amazing fizzy tabs that you can toss into a bowl of hot steamy water. They inject all sorts of delicious anti aging vitamins right into your pours as you steam.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Amanda Mae said...

ps- Love you too.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home