24 February 2009

I firmly believe in the Power of Love. And lately, I've been a bit taken with the power of the written (and then in turn) the spoken word.

There is something about oral tradition that I truly connect with. The way we deliver what we have to say can change a someones life. They way they see things, the way they see us, the way they see themselves.

Recently, A friend and I were blogging our unforgettable experience in Washington DC. He made a note on his blog that was emphasized with the word "fuck". He was gleeful when posting and said, "I love that I have my own blog, and I can use the work "fuck" and no one can do anything about it." There is something to be said about being able to say whatever you want, whenever you want, with out serious repercussions.

And, in this space, I've promised a variety of things. There have been times where Fashion and This City have taken precedence over Life, Love, and Me. And there are times when I wonder, dear readers, what you prefer most. But, the reality is, I say what I want to say when I want/need to say it. And, that is the beauty of this little place. I get to do and be and say - whatever I want whenever I want.

This is a long winded introduction to what I've been thinking about more often than not these days. The older (and might I say wiser) I get, I feel more and more a grave responsibility as a human being, to be and say and do as I require of others to be and say and do.

I feel a severe responsibility to make sure, my path, and for that matter your path is the best it can be. Although I may not always have this mentality on the forefront of my mind, I mean to. And, I guess this all comes full circle to this little space. And whether or not you read these words to find out where the best/newest/most fun place to shop and eat and drink are, to feel less alone in heartbreak, celebrate or reminisce in your twenties, or just plain be entertained. So, whatever it is - I hope that you know, I'm here, stringing all these words together in a haphazard way because I care about you. And how you, in your own way, can (and likely do) make a difference.

As silly as it sounds and as over used as it is, this quote rings terribly true:

“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good
therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can
show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me
not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this
way again.”

Mahatma Gandhi


I promise, this will be the last of the emotionally wobbly posts for quite some time. Because, I just finished thumbing through Vogue from two Countries and a stack of recession themed fashion magazines and revamping my spring closet. We've got some serious fashion to discuss.

1 Comments:

Blogger jamieireland said...

Bravo, Amanda! Well said. I miss you & love you!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home